About David Edman
David E. Edman is the Managing Partner of Risk Management Partners LLC, a healthcare consulting and brokerage firm located in Wayne, PA. Clients are primarily healthcare purchasers: employers, unions, associations, government entities, and insurance companies. The company’s mission is to “fix” healthcare from the bottom up (one employer at a time) and from the top down (improving public policy).
David Edman has worked in the healthcare industry for over 34 years, since receiving a BS in Economics at The Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania and an MBA in Health Services Management from The Kellogg School at Northwestern University in 1978. Throughout his career, David has held senior executive positions in healthcare consulting, operational, and entrepreneurial settings, successfully implementing value-based purchasing, performance measurement, and quality-improvement strategies to assist clients with healthcare cost containment.
David’s Career Highlights:
- 34 years in health finance, health economics, and managed health care.
- Diverse experience—early career with healthcare providers (e.g., hospitals, physicians, consulting); transition into HMO/managed-care industry (feasibility, development, and operations); followed by healthcare entrepreneurial initiatives and purchaser consulting.
- Focus on quality improvement and cost reduction, targeted at the 30% of healthcare spending that is wasted on unnecessary, inappropriate, and poor-quality care.
- 20+ years of involvement in federal and state politics and public policy.
David’s Major Career Accomplishments:
- Owner and manager of a successful healthcare consulting company for over 10 years, doing leading-edge work to improve the delivery and financing of healthcare.
- Developed a Bermuda-based captive insurance company (1990) owned by nine hospitals; still in existence today with over $100 million in assets.
- U.S. government contractor in HMO demonstration project to pay private HMOs; prelude to Medicare Advantage program (Part C); an example of an effective Health Exchange model.
- Served as consultant (feasibility, provider contracting, staffing, licensing) and then the first CEO of a provider-owned HMO that later was merged into Aetna Health Plans.
- Implementation of consumer-driven healthcare strategies for numerous purchasers that have succeeded in “bending the cost curve.”
- Bachelor of Science in Economics at The Wharton School of University of Pennsylvania
- Master in Management in Health Services Management and Finance at The Kellogg School of Management, Northwestern University
- National HMO Management Fellowship Program at Georgetown University
David’s Honors And Awards:
- Invited to participate in White House briefing on health reform in November 2009
- NFIB/Pennsylvania Small Business Champion Award for 2011
- Thomas Jefferson University, Department of Health Policy and Clinical Outcomes, Senior Scholar
See David’s resume for more detail.
You can effectively control the rising costs of health insurance premiums. Find out how.